Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten books and Ten songs that should have a theme song type relationship...

Tumblr_lw95sd6zvn1qla0bso1_250_large
As both a book and music lover I am digging this meme. To visit the original click here

I've always thought certain songs meshed well with words. I often play music while I read.

1.'Born Wicked' by Jessica Spotswood
 - 'Damned if She Do' by The Kills:
I think the message in this song resonates with the choices that the character has to make. The sinister sound goes pretty well with the Brotherhood's treatment towards the witches and the general fear it creates among both witches and ordinary humans.

2.'The Great Gatsby' by F. Scott Fitzgerald
 - 'Born to die' by Lana Del Ray:
Both song and novel are tragic. The old-fashioned sound of Del Ray's deep voice mixed with lyrics like "Let's get high" seem to fit the jazz age perfectly.

3.'The Girl Who Chased the Moon' by Sarah Addison Allen
 - 'She's love' by End of Fashion: 
They are both so romantic, but still have that bit of edge. I think the music really suits the setting of an easy going small town. This song could probably go with the other two Allen novels I've read; 'Garden Spells' and 'The Sugar Queen'.

4.'I Capture The Castle' by Dodie Smith
 - 'Cheated Hearts' by Yeah Yeah Yeahs:
The jumpy-dancy vibe of this song reminds me of the descriptions of the dancing in the little ceremonies the main character has. Mid-summers eve? Some sort of pagan thing anyway.

5.'The Night Circus' by Erin Morgenstein
 - 'My Moon My Man' by Feist:
I can somehow imagine a book version of the film clip with a little cartoon train chugging along in beat with this tune. Other songs I thought of were: 'Sun of A Gun' by Oh Land and 'Hearts A Mess' by Gotye.

6.'Fated' by Sarah Alderson
- 'Cherry Lips' by Garbage:
Both the book and the song have a somewhat  dorky quality to them. The book reminds me a bit of action figures and comics while the song reminds me of a kids action movie, like say 'Scooby Doo'.

7. 'Graveminder' by Melissa Marr
 - 'Bones' by The Killers:
I was so infatuated by Marr's underworld and the song compliments it so beautifully.

8.'The Bell Jar' by Sylvia Plath
- 'Endless Summer' by The Jezabels:
This songs got the same hopeful feeling that the end of the novel has, except for the fact that the end of the novel takes place in winter, not summer.

9.'Speak' by Laurie Halse Anderson
- 'Breaker Breaker' by Peter Bjorn and John:
This song reminds me of Melinda's cynical, yet humorous musings about wanting to be an anti-cheerleader.

10.'Vampire Academy Series' by Richelle Mead
- 'I'm Not Calling You A Liar' by Florence and The Machine:
This song suits a lot of the personal parts of the book. Dimitri can tell when Rose is lying and the whole ghost thing in the chorus suits Rose and her madness.

Wow. That was actually pretty hard. What songs and books did you pick?

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

5 comments:

Wall-to-wall books said...

Hmmm well that was very interesting!
I would have never thought of doing that.
I've read a few of the books but hove not heard of ANY of the songs! LOL
Great post.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I recognize your books (and that's something, right?!) but none of your songs. Sigh.

Here's my
Top Ten Books I'd Give a Theme Song To.
I'd love to have you stop by.

And I hope you'll also enter the Readerbuzz February Giveaway! You could win All Kinds of Kisses or Paris to the Past or a $25 Amazon giftcard!

Farah said...

I love the VA series and that song somehow suited it=D Great tracks!

Drop by my Top 10?
http://www.tumblinginbooks.blogspot.com/2012/02/top-10-books-that-id-give-theme-song.html

Allison said...

I've read part of The Night Circus (haven't finished it yet!), and I like My Moon, My Man for it. Great pick.

LBC said...

This was a really hard topic that week. I recognize all the artists, but I never know song titles! I'll have to listen to them and then see if I agree on the pairings.