Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Inspiration and Motivation

6a00d8358081ff69e2016766ae2575970b-800wi_large


Being the creative person I am, I find myself constantly weighed down by endless goals and projects that I plan to complete. These plans never seem to form actions and when I finally decide that "Yes! I will paint that picture of a seahorse" I have forgotten how to do a certain technique with the paintbrush or I've half forgotten my idea for the colour scheme. Then, there are other goals that are constantly going through my mind that I simply do not achieve because I am not disciplined enough. I've been looking into some tips for this kind of thing and I have a few tips of my own (not that I'm any role model). I thought I might share them with you guys.

Before I get to it, remember that these tips can be applied to all different kinds of goals and projects.

1. JOT THINGS DOWN:
If you've got an idea write it down somewhere. I normally carry a notebook around with me where ever I go. Writing things down can be very helpful so long as you know where you wrote it.

2. FRAME OF MIND:
Every horrible thing that happens to you, every boring task that you do can be fuel for creative thinking. Fuel your goal with emotion.

3. THINK MORE:
As well as having a good 'frame of mind' boring situations are great for thinking about your idea (I do this sometimes at work).

4. RECORD IDEA FIRST, JUDGE LATER:
You might think the idea is a bit iffy, but in a few years you might stumble across that old notebook and think that it's really good.

5. DO IT FOR YOURSELF, NOT OTHERS:
Don't create things for a certain demographic, don't worry about what other people will say. You are doing something for you, not others.

6. NO DISTRACTIONS(or not many):
This can be hard if your goal is computer related. During the writing of this blog post so far I have opened up tabs for youtube, facebook and my emails.

7. SET A DEADLINE:
This one doesn't work for me. At least not if  I set a deadline for myself.

8. LIST OF THINGS TO REMEMBER:
Rules you make for yourself, tips you want to remember, helpful websites...etc should be written in a list and kept somewhere handy. I wrote mine in texta on a piece of card stock that now adorns my wall. Hello poster. I also used pretty glitter pen.

9. YOU HAVEN'T FAILED YET:
Don't give up without starting (Mistake I make often)

10. APPROPRIATE SETTING AND EQUIPMENT:
Blogging was so much better once I bought a laptop and didn't have to share the family computer all the time. If you are going to do something that requires space, make space. If you are going to be painting and all your paint brushes are shotty, buy some paint brushes. Bet the picture yet?

Hopefully these tips will work for me. I hope this was helpful.

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

No comments: