Monday, October 15, 2012

DIY Tube Scarf

I've noticed that there is a lot of winter stuff coming onto the online stores based in the USA. "That's right it's autumn over there at the moment isn't it?" says the forgetful old-lady voice in my head (she also has a brittish accent). Actually, I think the UK and Asia are in for a white Christmas too... Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm not entirely sure about how the seasons thing works for different countries.  Anyway, it got me thinking. I was seeing all these lovely chunky scarves and tube scarves and I remembered that I hadn't finished mine. I thought I'd make mine into a tube scarf, because I really couldn't be bothered knitting much longer, And, I thought I'd write a tutorial about it.
 
So if it's autumn in your country this is definitely a good project to have some fun with before it gets too cold. If you are currently residing in a warmer climate (like me) here's a project to pen into your calendar for next autumn. Or, if you are a slow crafter like me, you can start now.
 
STEP 1:
Find a knit or crochet pattern that you like. I used the Loose Knit Scarf Pattern (an old favourite), but you can use any pattern you wish.
 
STEP 2:
Knit or crochet the pattern until the scarf is the length you need. You will need to check the scarf as you go (buy wrapping the scarf around your neck to see if it is long enough to be joined) which can be awkward when the knitting needle is joined onto the end (not much you can do about that sorry). you want to hold both the ends together when you do this (like you would if you were actually sewing them.
 
Things to remember before you decide that the scarf is long enough:
-The scarf not only has to fit around your neck, but it has to be big enough to slide over your head.
-how do you want to wear the scarf? If you want to just pull it over your head it won't have to be very long, but if you want to be able to wrap it around a second time (like mine) you'll need a fair bit more fabric
-You'll have to finish the end of a series of stitches if it is a repetitive pattern and you want the join to be less noticeable
-The scarf will become longer (and wider) once ironed.
 
When folded in half, my scarf (which hadn't her been ironed) measured approximately 33 inches / 82 centimetres in length.
 
STEP 3:
Once you've reached the desired length cast off (or tie a knot) depending on how you are making the scarf.  Then, iron it.
 
STEP 4:
Fold the scarf so that the two ends are sitting at the half way point and sew them together as if they are continuing (diagram below). Sorry about the dodgy drawing (made it on paint). I would have taken pictures of the real thing, but due to the mottled yarn and the lighting in the house I just don't think it would have made much sense.
 


 STEP 5:
You can tuck the ends in using a crochet hook, but if you're like me and aren't very good at that sort of thing, try tying a very tight knot and snipping the thread of very close to it. I then used clear nail polish to protect the knot from coming undone or the end from fraying.
 
STEP 6:
Wear it!
 
These scarves are very easy to wear. Like a loose necklace you can throw it over your head and twist it around once more. They can also save you the cost of extra yarn, because you don't need so much to make it.
 
ANOTHER IDEA:
 
Which I saw here. I prefer mine without fringing, but it's up to the individual.
 
If you can't knit or crochet, but have an old shirt that you don't wear anymore, you can cut the bottom off the old shirt and wear it as a scarf. You won't even have to sew (unless the shirt isn't made out of jersey-type fabric, which means you'll have to hem it bottom and top). Unfortunately you won't get a choice in length with this one.
 
Hope you enjoyed the tute!
 
Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

No comments: