Tuesday, February 11, 2014

My Top 10 Movie Suggestions for Valentines Day

I've seen heaps of beauty tutorials and gift guides on the blogosphere for Valentine's day, so instead of doing either of those things I decided to write a list of movies that you could choose to watch that night. I know a lot of people like to go out for dinner on Valentine's day, but I am not one of those people. Mainly because I am single and Valentine's dinners are for doubles, but also because I'm never really one for going out and I know that there will be a few people (including couples) staying in to avoid busy restaurants. I did think of a few more movies, but they all had a bit of a melancholy vibe and I thought "Who wants to cry on Valentine's Day?".

I'm breaking this list of ten into two groups. The first group is for the people who want to watch something romantic, while the second is for those that aren't really feeling the love. I didn't include any "vintage" era films (unless you class the 80s as vintage) or teen films because I wanted to choose movies that a larger range of people would enjoy.

*
1. Pretty Woman is a classic. If you haven't watched it then I really suggest that you do. It is a very original movie and if you are going to buy a DVD than this one definitely has re-watch potential. Also, in the extras you can watch the director and Richard Gere having a jam session off-set.

*
2. Pride & Prejudice has been "The Love Story" for years before it was made into a mini-series. I really like this film version with Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennet. I'm not sure if this is everyones cup of tea, but I'm sure it's one that some of the bookish wouldn't mind watching on Valentine's Day.

*
3. Dirty Dancing  is another one of those films that you can watch over and over again. I have to be honest. I stole this idea from a tv ad. Something about costing people $20 to buy a ticket and watch it in a cinema on V-Day. Stuff that. Got the VHS at home and the couch is comfier...

*
4. Valentine's Day is a movie about the very day that this list is designed for. It's one of those Mish-Mash films that has a bunch of different characters all experiencing their own mini-drama while I watch and try to figure out how all the characters are connected. Because they always are.

* 
5. Letters to Juliet is about a girl finding a letter, meeting the woman who wrote it and trying to find the man it was meant for.


Not Feeling the Love?
If you're not really feeling it this Valentine's day, this list is for you. These movies still are about love and do generally have an optimistic sort of ending, but they don't all start off super hopeful. Plus, whenever I watch these my mum complains that they are depressing (well except for 'High Fidelity' where "he swears to much" and 'Get Over It' which she hasn't really seen).

*
6. He's just not that into you is actually based on a self-help book. Apparently some of the advice ^that guy gives is based on the advice in the book. I think this movie is funny. The story is kind of down on love, but Gigi is always optimistic. Stars some famous people and I know a lot of my friends in high school didn't like this movie because it wasn't as fabulous as they thought it was going to be. I think it was just because it wasn't a super romantic movie...

*
7. The Romantics was a movie I got on sale. I didn't even know about it before then. It stars Katie Holmes, Adam Brody, Anna Paquin and Josh Duhamel. It is definitely a bit depressing, but if you are feeling down on love, that's kinda what you're going for isn't it? This group of friends really can't decide who they are going to be with and while the ending is not definite, it is hopeful.

*
8. 500 Days of Summer is absolutely hilarious. Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is one of those guys who makes the mistake of falling in love with a girl who doesn't love him back. Tom handles this in a very dramatic way and the timeline is not chronological.

*
9. High Fidelity is a movie for all the music nerds out there. And, this guy^ talks about the top 5 breakups in his life so far.

*
10. Get over it. In this movie Berke Landers doesn't handle his break-up particularly well and decides to star in the high-schools musical attempt of 'A Mid Summer Nights Dream' in hope that he can get his dream girl back.

So, there it is. I hope you enjoyed my list of Valentine's Day movie suggestions.

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

3 comments:

Wall-to-wall books said...

OMG!!! I love most of those movies!!!
Pretty Woman - yep love, seen it so many times
P&P - only seen it once because I couldn't stand reading the book lol, the movie was great!
Dirty Dancing - :-( I was a huge Patrick Swayze fan so that movie has a special place in my heart as does Ghost.
V Day - Just saw it for the first time a while ago - loved it!
Letters to Juliet - OMG only seen it once but what a beautiful movie!

The only ones I would say you are missing - Ghost, PS I love you, and Sleepless in Seattle
Hmmm I just might do a post on this... of course I will link it back to you. It can be my fun Friday and on V Day!

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

Go for it. I thought of heaps more movies, but like i said earlier in my post, some of them did make my eyes water and not all of us want to be mopping our faces with tissues on valentines day.

Wall-to-wall books said...

Did it! I did books and movies. Come visit me!