Thursday, November 20, 2014

Book Review: 'High Five' by Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum #5)

THE DETAILS:
Pages: 317
Genre: Adult Fiction, Mystery/Crime
Release Date: 01/01/1999
Publisher: St Martin's Paperbacks
I bought this book.

THE BLURB:
In her fifth high-octane thriller, bounty hunter Stephanie Plum sets out to find her missing uncle-- and along the way smacks slam-bang into: a dead body, a nasty bookie, her stun-gun-toting grandmother, two very sexy men, an angry little man who won't leave her apartment, and a Mafia wedding...

Jersey's favorite bounty hunter has never been better! With high hair, street smarts and plenty of attitude, Steph's sure to nail this case-- or risk life and spandex-clad limb trying...

MY THOUGHTS:
As much as I enjoy reading the 'Stephanie Plum' series, I am a little unsure about whether or not I should continue to review them for you all. This is partly because the series is so long, but also partly because I can foresee some recurring themes based on the books I have read so far. Is the fifth book in the 'Stephanie Plum' series a romance to end all romances? No. It is a pretty decent book though. Here are my thoughts.

I feel like each book takes Stephanie's love life back to square one. She has no ability to define her relationship either. So, if you are reading this for the romance, it's probably time to give up now. I guess the only difference in this book is that Stephanie has another admirer... There aren't any major love triangles or anything though. At least not yet...

As usual Stephanie continues to show us how human she is, by second guessing everything she does and really freaking out. I really like that Stephanie is new to this Bounty Hunter thing, because I feel like this is different to the norm with this genre (at least with TV shows). I feel like she is easy to identify with and that the series seems more realistic, because she does get scared or nauseous like I would.

Five books in and the author still manages to keep the story line interesting! I will be interested to see how well the author continues to keep things original as the series goes on. I feel like this was definitely one of the more interesting stories and I liked the added aspect of Stephanie's "other job" too. I also really enjoy how some things become such a common occurrence that they are just plain funny in this series. Cars blowing up etc.

Overall, I give this book a 4.5/5 stars. I don't want to say much because I know I will spoil the series for everyone. I think I might review the next book in the series and then I will make my decision on whether or not to continue reviewing this series. I think the author is still writing them and I don't want the book reviews section of my blog to become "The Stephanie Plum" blog.

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

No comments: