Thursday, November 13, 2014

My Spring Favourites: Beauty, Style and Other Stuff

*

I finally decided to write up my Spring favorites post. I thought I'd better jump in and write it before Spring was over, and so here it is. I have bought a lot of things since my last post, so this list is going to be quite huge. I won't include everything though, because I have only just gotten into some products this month and I don't think I have used them enough to decide that they are favourites (or even seasonal favourites). 

If you live in the northern hemisphere I think some of these favourites might be worth checking out if you are looking for a new product to try. I don't really follow seasonal colours...

*I purchased these with my own money

SKINCARE
  • I feel like the Tea Tree oil I mentioned in my last favourites post had stopped doing its thing, so I decided to try a new cleanser. I don't know if it works super well, but the Biore Deep Pore Charcoal Cleanser makes my skin feel all fresh and tingly and clean. 
  • I really like the Nivea Pure & Natural Cleansing Toner because it is cheap and it doesn't make my skin feel tight or sting like many other toners have in the past.
  • The Smartskin Cleansing Wipes were only $1 at Woolworths and they are actually pretty decent!
  • The Swisse Rosehip Oil Facial Moisturiser is really nice for night. It smells nice and it has heaps of "moisture" with out going oily and gross.
  • The Biore Moisture Lotion with SPF 15 is really nice for daytime. It doesn't smell like sunscreen and it balances the moisture levels in my skin without making it too greasy. 
  • The Lanolips 101 Ointment is a really rich lip balm made from lanolin (wax derived from sheep wool) that I like to use before bed and sometimes before make-up application. 


BATH and BODY:
  • I really like the Avon Naturals range. I have the moisturiser, the body wash and the body spray in a few different scents. I really like that I can enjoy some nice scented products without having a bad reaction.
  • While I still do really like the Nivea Pure and Natural Body Lotion , I have recently rediscovered the  Cocoa Palmers Olive Butter Body Lotion and really like it too. I do have to use a little bit more, and the colour is a little off-putting, but it does smell nice and keep my skin from going dry. 

HAIR:
  • I really like the Toni&Guy Classic Wave Memoriser for putting in my hair the day after I've washed it. It puts some moisture into my hair and tames the frizzy/fluffy bits.
  • I also really like the Toni&Guy Glamour Spritz&Shine Mousse for taming my hair. A little bit goes a long way!
  • Since my scalp is a bit sensitive I decided not to use aerosol hair sprays anymore. Which is a little sad. The Herbal Essence Toussle Me Softly Spray  is the closest thing I have found to get the same effect. If i am having a really bad hair day I will wet it, put in some mousse or pomade, pin it into place, And spritz it with this stuff. I wait till it is dry and take it out, and it looks fine. 


*
MAKE-UP:
  • I am really happy with some new brushes I bought from Crush Cosmetics and a Nude by Nature brush set that I bought. I find that Johnson and Johnsons Baby Shampoo is really great for cleaning them. 
  • I really appreciate the Covergirl Clean Foundation  since trying a few others which didn't really work out. It's not full coverage and it doesn't do anything special, but it is kind to my skin and the colour range is really accurate.
  • Two new favourite under-eye concealers are the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer and the NYX Dark Circle Concealer. I find that they do both crease a little, but i haven't really found an under-eye concealer that doesn't. These work great with or without powder. 
  • I really like the Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer for covering blemishes. I know that isn't what it's meant for, but that's how I use it...
  • I really like the Besame Violet Brightening Powder  for making my skin look less sallow, especially when I want to wear an unusual shade of lipstick or eye-shadow. 
  • I really like the Savvy by DB Loose Mineral Powder in Translucent for highlighting my skin because it's really shimmery. I have also used it to set my make-up, but i prefer to just use it under the eyes, on the nose and the cupid's bow, with a different matte powder on the rest of the face.
  • I love the Milani Baked Blush in Dolce Pink and have been using it like crazy. It's a really lovely pink colour (that isn't too bright) and it has little gold shimmers in it. It's like a highlighter/blush in one and i think it would be flattering on a lot of people.
  • I am a big fan of the Bourjois "Chocolate" Bronzer because it's not too dark/orange and it blends really nicely.
  • I think the highlighter from the Sleek Contour Kit in Light is amazing for the price.
  • I have been using a Mode Eye Pencil in Black to fill in my brows lately. I bought it from the local chemist ages ago, and strangely enough I think it looks really nice. I know my hair is not black, but if I feather this on it matches my eyebrow hairs perfectly and I can team it with a brown brow powder for a less dramatic look. 
  • I have been wearing the Avon Glimmersticks Brights eye liners a bit lately and I really like how they look with bronze eyeshadow.
  • My two favourite Maybelline Eye Tattoo shadows that have been getting the most use are 'Barely Branded' and 'Tough as Taupe'. 
  • I have also really been loving the Essence 3D effect eye shadow in Irresistible Chocolates. My two favourite Sleek Eyeshadow Palettes ('Oh So Special' and 'Del Mar') have been getting a lot of use too. 
  • I really like Maybelline Great Lash Waterproof Mascara for the lower lash line. I never used to use mascara on the lower lashes, because mine are too long and it can look weird. I like this one because it is waterproof and because it isn't too voluminous/lengthening. 
  • Even though it is spring here I managed to get sucked into the fall beauty trends because of the american beauty blogs I follow. That and because at the start of spring I was watching 'Dawson's Creek' a lot and Katy Holmes really rocks the brown/mauve colours... (I am on season 5 still though). I really like wines and browns at the moment. My favourites are Besame Lipstick in Merlot and Besame Lipstick in Chocolate. I am also currently trying out some Milani ones and I will do a review once I have a fair idea of these. 
  • I have also been getting a lot of wear out of my new Limecrime Velveteen in Pink Velvet  and Limecrime Lipstick in Airbourne Unicorn. I really love these shades!
  • I finally discovered the Revlon Lip Butters and managed to acquire 6 of those. I am planning to post some swatches eventually. They are not a strong lip colour, but they feel amazing.
  • NYX lip liners are awesome in hot weather because they stop my lipstick from running. I really like 'Cabaret' because it is so versatile.

*

STYLE:
  • I have been wearing my Boat Neck Tops from Rockmans quite a bit, as they are the perfect length for early spring and I feel like boat-necks suit my shape. 
  • I have really been liking some of my Chiffon Op-shop Tops  which I think look cute with a broach and a nice skirt. 
  • I bought a bunch of 3/4 Chiffon Skirts from Ebay and they have been getting a lot of wear too. 


MUSIC:
  • In the last couple of months I have decided to revisit some old favourites (albums) which are 'Big Big Love' by Little Birdy and Lenka's self-titled album
  • I finally spent some itunes money. I really love 'For The Last Time' and 'Breaking the Rules' by Jack Savoretti. 'New Shoes' by Paolo Nutini is also a rad song (seriously who could hate it). I also got a bunch of old tunes that I just had to have like 'Luck be a Lady' from 'Guys and Dolls' (Motion Picture Soundtrack) and The Charleston
  • If you haven't already you should check out Bree De Rome's new song on Youtube. It's called 'Easy to Forget'.


MOVIES:
  • Usually I just have a bunch of movies I watch over and over (almost religiously) once I feel I haven't seen them in a while. This month though, I have been into watching Katherine Heigl Movies. I think she is a good actress and I like the types of movies she acts in. Chick Flicks...
  • I never used to like musicals, but I am slowly getting into them. I really liked Disney's Teen Beach movie even if it was corny. 

Did you have any new favourites this season?

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

2 comments:

Witchcrafted Life said...

Boat neck tops are fabulous!!! I find some necklines don't work for one red second on me (such as most v-necks and nearly all crew necks), but that those that are quite angular or interestingly shaped, like boat and sweetheart necklines thankfully really do. Counter-intuitive though it may seem to the season (when one usually wants as little exposed skin as possible here in Canada, I often reach for boat necks in winter to pair with vintage pleated plaid or full circle skirts and think that the two make for such a lovely, classic silhouette.

Wonderful post and images that you paired with each section, dear gal. It's fun to see Julie Andrews appear in a vintage blog post. She's such an iconic actress, yet doesn't get the coverage of say MM, Rita Hayworth, Veronica Lake, or some of the other more sexpot or glamorous actresses of the general era (ditto for fellow lovely girl-next-door type Sandra Dee).

♥ Jessica

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

I really ought to see more of her movies. I think she's a lovely lady.