Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Review: 'Darkest Mercy' by Melissa Marr (Wicked Lovely 5)


Darkest Mercy. Melissa Marr
THE DETAILS:
Pages: 327
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Fantasy
Released: 2011
Publisher: Harper Collins
Bought in a store.
Book 5 (And Final) book in the 'Wicked Lovely' series.

THE BLURB:
Send the messengers for the Faery Courts. This is the end.

Aislinn took a steadying breath. “I need to find out where Keenan is. If he’s not home, I’m going to war without him...which is not ideal. Someone knows where he is.”

“I do not, my queen. I give you my word that I will find out, though.” Tavish’s restrained facade slipped, and she saw the faery-cruel expression as he asked, “Are there limits to the methods?”


The Summer King is missing; the Dark Court is bleeding; and a stranger walks the streets of Huntsdale, his presence signifying the deaths of powerful fey. Love, despair and betrayal ignite the Faery Courts, and in the final conflict some will win...and some will lose everything.

THE REVIEW:
In a series the book that I tend to have the highest expectations of is the final book; after all, it's the be all and end all of the characters' literary existence. While 'Darkest Mercy' definitely didn't disappoint it was not a story that I felt drawn to. When I was reading the novel I found it quite interesting and exciting, but I had to keep reminding myself to pick it up and actually read it.

'Darkest Mercy' is probably one of the most exciting books in the series. I really cared for these characters and felt that I wanted them all to get the endings they truly deserved. Melissa Marr wrote better endings than I could have imagined, but also left some loose ends to leave me wondering...

This novel had a lot more of the court politics mixed up in the story line, which may have contributed to the extra time it took me to read it. All the references to faerie laws and regents can be confusing and certainly tests how well you've been paying attention. While I found that the court dynamics did slow me down a bit, I thought it did make the book seem smarter than a lot of YA fiction I have read. The 'Wicked Lovely' world is a bit more involved is all...

I don't know that I can really say all that much more about this novel in my review without seeming repetitive or revealing spoilers. Overall, I'm giving the novel 5/5 stars, but not favouriting it. I suggest that If you haven't read this series you do give it a go. Just like the covers; the stories inside are beautiful, unusual and a little wicked.

WICKED LOVELY SERIES
1. Wicked Lovely
2. Ink Exchange
3. Fragile Eternity
4.Radiant Shadows
5. Darkest Mercy (This Review)

SERIES QUESTIONAIRE:
May Contain Spoilers...

I decided to try this out as a new "end of series" thing. I don't know if I'll do it again or not...

What was your favourite book in the series?
Radiant Shadows, because the characters actually have a sense of humour.

What was your least favourite book?
Fragile Eternity, because it got a little boring at times.

Who was your favourite male character in  the series?
Niall, because he is so loyal.

Who was your favourite female character in the series?
Ani, because... Why do I even need to explain?

Which Character do you Identify with most?
Donia, because of the whole personality thing. Sometimes she is a little wicked, but she can also be kind.

What is the most notable difference between this series and other series?
The villain. Bananach is one of the scariest villains. She's on a par with Voldemort. Actually, her and Voldemort could have been great lovers...

Favourite Cover?
Wicked Lovely

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

No comments: