Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Review: 'So Over My Head' by Jenny B. Jones (A Charmed Life #3)

A Charmed Life
THE DETAILS:
'A Charmed Life' is a bindup of three books. Here is my review of the third and final book in the series:

THE BIND-UP DETAILS:
Pages: 976
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary
Release Date: 01/05/2012

Received via Netgalley.


Bind up includes the three books:
'So Not Happening', 'I'm So Sure' and 'So Over My Head'

THE BLURB:
Newly single, stalked by a killer, and in desperate need of some chic clown shoes--Bella is one skinny mocha frapp away from total meltdown. When the Fritz Family Carnival makes its annual appearance in Truman, Bella's keen reporter instincts tell her the bright lights hide more than they reveal. Her suspicions are confirmed when one of the stars is murdered. Though the police make an immediate arrest, Bella doubts this case is quite that simple. She needs her crime-solving boyfriend, Luke, more than ever.

Problem is, his ex-girlfriend has moved back to town, giving Bella some murderous thoughts of her own. Then again, there's no time for a relationship crisis when Bella's doing her best to derail her father's wedding and stay one step ahead of a killer. Is God sending her a message in all of this madness? With a murderer on the loose and her boyfriend's ex on the prowl, this undercover clown has never had more to juggle--or more to risk.

MY REVIEW:
I was excited to finish this series off. The first and second were both fairly quick reads and I was looking forward to finding out if some of the characters got their lucky endings. Unfortunately 'So Over My Head' didn't get the best chance to get on my good side, though. Despite the fact that I wanted to read it - really wanted to find out how it would all end - I had extra work coming up and kinda got addicted to a TV show. I think if the book was "fantastic" it would have grabbed my attention quickly, pretty much demand me to read it, And, I would drop everything else (when possible) to devour it. This didn't happen. While the book was entertaining, it was the least exciting of the series.

'So Over My Head' (unlike the other books) is set (most of the time) in a circus setting. The circus is in Truman and something mysterious is going on. While the new setting was interesting, I thought it was a strange one to include in the final book in the series; a strange way to finish it. It definitely added more room for messages and themes that the author didn't have a reason to include in her story before.

This book is as funny as the others, maybe even more so. I think the new setting (and extra characters) offered more as far as humor is concerned. Be warned: This novel can and will have you snorting, so probably don't read it in public.

Overall, I give this book 3.5/5 stars. It was entertaining. I am happy with the way the story ended, but I don't like  like the way it dragged on. If you like to read fun girly novels or watch chick flicks, I think you'll enjoy this series. I also recommend that you save the series for a time when you've got spare time to spare on it.

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

No comments: