Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Review: 'Second Chance Summer' by Morgan Matson


Second Chance Summer

THE DETAILS:
Pages: 468
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary
Release Date (Australia) : June 2012
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
I Received this novel from a Publisher.
RRP: $16.99

THE DESCRIPTION:
Taylor's family might not be the closest-knit – everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled – but for the most part, they get along fine. Then they get news that changes everything: Her father has pancreatic cancer, and it's stage four – meaning that there is basically nothing to be done. Her parents decide that the family will spend his last months together at their old summerhouse in the Pocono Mountains.

Crammed into a place much smaller and more rustic than they are used to, they begin to get to know each other again. And Taylor discovers that the people she thought she had left behind haven't actually gone anywhere. Her former summer best friend is suddenly around, as is her first boyfriend. . . and he's much cuter at seventeen than he was at twelve.

As the summer progresses, the Edwards become more of a family, and closer than they've ever been before. But all of them very aware that they're battling a ticking clock. Sometimes, though, there is just enough time to get a second chance – with family, with friends, and with love.


MY REVIEW:
I was ecstatic when I learned that Morgan Matson was writing another novel. I just could not wait. Her first novel 'Amy and Roger's Epic Detour' was something that I'd requested from the publisher, but hadn't expected to like as much as I did. 'Second Chance Summer' was just as enjoyable and still managed to surprise me with it's greatness despite the high expectations.

Like the last novel, I thought that this one had just the right amount of heart-ache, humour and cozy content to make any reader burst into tears, giggle and smile (all at different times of course). I did notice that some things might seem a little too similar (I haven't quite decided this yet). There's a new love, driving seems to be an issue and someone dies. I think the different contexts make the situations appear different in the two books.

This book was very summery. There were ice creams, employment opportunities, fireworks, swimming, new pets... So, yeah, summery... It reminded me a lot of the 'Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants' books, because of the atmosphere. I also thought that the balance of Joy/sadness was similar. It was definitely a great distraction from the wintry winds picking up outside my window.

Like all good contemporary fiction there were some great messages included in the storyline. Messages about giving second chances, making the most of every moment and considering that everyone has their own (sometimes secret) problems to worry about. Sometimes it's nice to read a book about real life problems alongside relationship ones. A contemporary that focuses on plenty of other things and not just "that cute guy from last summer".

Overall, I gave this book 5/5 stars and favourited it. Another great book by Morgan Matson! I really don't know what else to say. I seem to have gotten so carried away reading the story that I couldn't even tell you why  it was so great. At least not without revealing spoilers or rambling. It just is great. It was definitely a nice break from all those fantasy novels I've been reading...

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

No comments: